Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It feels like years since you've been here.

Dear the sun,

Hey, how are you? More importantly, where are you?

We all miss you. No one even makes eye contact walking down the sidewalk. We stare at our boots and hide in our scarves.

Right now it feels like you've never been here, like we've lived like this forever, like nothing will ever change. Things have lost their warmth and color.

I know I've gotten upset at you before for coming on too strong, even for burning me, but all that's behind us now. Forgive me for complaining? I want you to come back. I miss you.

Love and tearcicles,
Alyssa

1 comment:

Sarah said...

When I was little, we had a book called "How the Sun was Brought Back to the Sky." In it, the sun has been away for three days while it rains and all the animals have to go find it. They come to his house and they all say "Sun! Sun! World's delight! Come out and give us warmth and light!" It turns out the poor sun is embarrassed, and feels like a failure, so the wash his face and gently coax him back to the sky for the happy ending.

I have found myself using the formula "Sun! Sun! World's delight! Come out and give us warmth and light!" recently. Most people, sadly, do not get it.