Tuesday, March 30, 2010

It's a job! It's a job!

Since graduation in May, I've had a seasonal job, a part time job, and several short-term gigs, but never a full time position.

Applying for jobs is time consuming. Most days, I spent several hours filling out applications, researching companies, and sifting through ads to avoid scams and pyramid schemes. I have record of having applied for over 200 positions, but I didn't keep a record of anything I applied for through staffing agencies, which don't reveal the name of the company unless they get you an interview. It's probably closer to 250.

To keep from going stir crazy while un/deremployed, I have:
  • Held two internships, one as a writer at MAI and one as an administrative assistant/courier at World Relief 
  • Helped Church of the Resurrection's office with miscellanious preparing-for-Easter chores
  • Sang in Rez's choir
  • Taught two semester-long improv workshops 
  • Joined a Bible study
  • Weaned completely off of medicine I didn't need anymore, and consequently slept a lot
  • Radically changed my diet to accomodate a newly-discovered dairy allergy
  • Read a zillion books (a random sampling of which would include Les Misérables, After Virtue, Oryx and Crake, and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.)
  • Got hooked on The West Wing, even the not-as-good seasons
  • Learned to crochet 
Staying busy helped keep me from becoming resigned to un/deremployment, and that will make it an easier transition when I start my new full time job this week.

I'm the newest web coordinator for Web Works, which means I will write copy for small businesses, churches, politicians -- anyone who needs to set up a website. 

I start on Thursday. I like to think of it as Maundy Thursday, though I keep being reminded that it's also April Fool's Day.

---

If you're in the Chicago area, come to Edman Chapel (on Wheaton's campus, though this is not a function of the college) on Saturday at 7 for Rez's Easter Vigil.

Besides singing in the choir, I'm in the Red Sea reading, which means I'm an Israelite, then an Egyptian, then an Israelite again, then an Egyptian again, and then (spoiler) I die. There are drums. Come and see!

2 comments:

Greg said...

You and Lisa update on the same day. Amazing!

Congratulations again on ze job! I'm quite impressed by your (job) hunting skills.

Also, what did you think of After Virtue?

Anonymous said...

Hey--how's the job?